Friday, January 15, 2010

BRENT'S GREATEST ALBUMS OF 2009

15) The Pains of Being Pure at Heart. Every year I fall in love with some band that has a jangle-pop sound. This year that band is Pains of Being Pure at Heart. They are noisier than my usual choice in this category. I must be growing up.

14) Girls – Album. Girls started out as annoying garage music. Then it got a little charming. Then it just ended up being charming. Then it was 14.

13) Camera Obscura – This band can do no wrong in my ears, but they will probably never crack the top 5 in any countdown of mine because their style can only go so far. But they do it very well, and I want to live in their songs.

12) Handsome Furs – This was an album of nearly great songs that got by on the fact that all the songs were nearly great. This is a man/woman band, and they take really sexy pictures together, which (along with their connection to Wolf Parade) may have something to do with their spot on this list.

11) It’s True – Chelsey’s friend Hayden put this on our computer when she was staying with us. Further proof that once can listen to heaps of music from all over and be clueless about good things that are playing down the road from him. If you love heart-on-sleeve music, this is for you. If you don’t, this entire list may not be for you.

10) Yacht – Electronic pop music done in such a way that I like it. This is a tall feat. Chelsey doesn’t like it that much, which is puzzling to me.

09) The XX – Even though this only hit third, I think it is the album that I would most widely recommend. There’s something going on here that is just…sexy. And I don’t throw that word around. I promise. I wish I had a better word already.

08) Cass McCombs – A nice part of listening to 8000 albums a year is that some stick for no good reason. I like this album. I don’t expect you to. It’s slow and pretty with nice harmonies. And it has a song that has “See You Next Tuesday” in the refrain. Which is the name of my Tuesday drinking club.

07) The Flaming Lips – I’m so happy the Flaming Lips made a good album again. They were certainly due. Gets back to what they do well. Gets away from why they have sucked for the last 5 years.

06) Generationals – Ok here we go. Phil Spector meets Paul Simon meets Vampire Weekend meets Pet Shop Boys. From New Orleans. Good stuff.

05) Neko Case – Neko Case is my girlfriend. We met this year, and now we are going out. It’s serious. This album is about nature kicking human ass. Possibly out of love.

04) Rural Alberta Advantage – Kent calls this second-rate Neutral Milk Hotel. He may be right. But I like it better than most of what came out in 2008. And I think it was just re-released in 2009, but I am counting it as a 2009.

03) Yeah Yeah Yeah’s – This album is a poor man’s version of my number one. It’s got one badass song on it, and bunch of other songs that are badass to a lesser extent.

02) Antlers – Hospice – This is a poorly recorded album about a person caring for another person in Hospice care. Despite the sound quality, it wins you over. More than once I have caught myself craning my neck trying to make out lyrics because I am just that emotionally involved. This is a little pathetic. But there’s nothing I can do about it.

01) Elvis Perkins in Dearland – This was the best album of the year, hands down. Doomsday is the best song of the year, and the rest of the album isn’t too far behind. Note to everyone: if you want to make an album, hire a brass band to play on it. Boom! Great album. It makes all music 20% better.

For further muscial enjoyment, I would like to inviet everyone to view the yearly music posts on my friend kent's website - elbuzzard.com. here you go. I even gave you a link: http://www.elbuzzard.com/archives/2009/12/best-music-of-2009

Kent has better taste in music than me. So you will like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment