Monday, August 23, 2010

A change at the top of the order

I have some lists to share. The reason for this is twofold: this weekend I finally saw A Prophet, thought by many to be the finest movie of 2009, and last week I came to the realization that my favorite book ever has changed. As you all may know, I am intractably a list guy. I am embarrassed by this. It seems somewhat shameful to so desperately need to order and quantify one's artistic experiences.

I've often heard people say that those with chaotic lives will seek to rigidly organize small spheres of their lives so as to impose a measure of their own will in the world. I'm not sure how the whole hoarding phenomenon fits into this explanation, but maybe some people tend to jerk the wheel in the other direction. Regardless, I'm not sure why I like lists, but heaven forgive me, I do seem to derive a disproportionately large amount of pleasure from being able to put numbers next to things.

Favorite Novels.
1. The Boy Detective Fails - Joe Meno
2. The Winter of Our Discontent - John Steinbeck
3. Lolita - Vladimir Nabokov
4. East of Eden - John Steinbeck
5. Henderson the Rain King - Saul Bellow

Favorite Movies of 2009
1. Where the Wild Things Are
2. The Messenger
3. The White Ribbon
4. A Prophet
5. Coraline

5 comments:

  1. A couple of follow-up things: "artistic" is highlighted for no good reason other than it was originally misspelled and when the spell check thing caught the error, it highlighted it, and I will of course be excited to see your corresponding book and movies lists.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charles, this is a very nice set of lists. I have seen exactly one of the movies, which I saw with you. And I've read none of the books. For some reason I have 2 of those "Girl Who . . . " books in my house right now, so I'm sure once I finish them, I can let you know whether they'll make your top 5 too. I'm in a New Yorker kick -- keep your eye on your mailbox for torn-out articles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This article prompted me to look over the 2009 movies, and decided I didn't like any of them. Although in fairness, I haven't seen 2-4.

    Also, I haven't read any of the books on that list. But the new "I Read All the Time" version of Brent will probably have them all knocked out by xmas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh and I am now reading The Falling Man, in my continuation of reading books Chuck gave me and I never read until the Summer of 2010.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I can promise that The Boy Detective Fails will be foisted upon each of you to read. The good news is that I sincerely believe that all of you will like it.

    ReplyDelete