Thursday, September 23, 2010

Concert Review: Menomena/Titus Andronicus

So I have decided to start reviewing concerts, so that I can remember which concerts I have seen in what years.  Starting now.

In the past two weeks I have seen Titus Andronicus and Menomena.  Both are bands that I like a little bit, but others I know like a lot.  Both have albums I have tried to get into, but I have only made it into the entry way on each. 

So here we go. 
Titus Andronicus - My first impression of Titus Andronicus is that they sing the sentiments I felt in college.  They do it really well, and their music is really good.  But their earnestness about how they are losers and their lives are a waste just don't resonate in me when I listen to their albums.  I was hoping the live show would be different.  Sadly, it was not.  Still enjoyable.  The sound was good.  But I would give it a B- overall.  Also a band called Free Energy opened up for them and sounded like a Bruce Springsteen cover band, circa 1986.  Which was weird.  But I have thought about them a few times afterwards. I wonder if I should get their cd.

Menomena - My friend Kent loves this band.  Chelsey loves this band.  I love one song by this band.  It's called Rotten Hell, and it was one of my favorite songs of 2007.  I sat there all night waiting to hear it. They never played it.  Those fuckers.  Which was a shame, because the rest of the concert was actually pretty good.  And the two openers weren't without their charms either.  Suckers were frantic, and good when they weren't trying to be discordant.  Tu Fawning was a nice band too, but they also had sound problems.  Maybe the sound guy was just a doof. 

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad to hear that Chelsey loves Menomena too. I was so afraid that the Kosterpelding house was Menomena free (except for Rotten Hell).

    ReplyDelete