Thursday, September 30, 2010

Everybody's Fine

Last night Chelsey and I watched this movie.  In the first 5 minutes it was very clear to me that this would be a horribly sad movie.  It did not disappoint. 

Robert DeNiro plays the father of this family whose mother just died.  He's been largely uncommunicative with his kids his whole life, and now that she's gone he decides he better pick up where his wife left off in that department. Then the heartbreak ensues.  None of his kids feel comfortable around him.  No one tells him anything about their life.  So on and so forth.

Let me first say, this wasn't a great movie.  The story wasn't all that hot.  But it hit many of the right notes along the way.  Specifically, it did a fine job of depicting a shattered family in a way that didn't knock you over the head.  It broke my heart.  Too much of seeing my own dad  in the DeNiro character.  Trying to make up for years of disinterest.  Not being any good at it. Made me appreciate how little he would have left in his life if my mom dies before him. 

Apparently this is a wide open nerve in the psyche of Brent Koster, as all the movies that make me want to cry (Field of Dreams, Millions, Joy Luck Club) center on fucked up or scarred parent/kid relationships.  Continued proof that I am not an adult. 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment