Friday, October 1, 2010

Concert Review: Local Natives

In my continuing series of going to shows that I am not wild about, I saw the Local Natives last night with Chelsey and Chuck.  They were both excited for the show.  I was confused as to why I had agreed to come along too.  They have one song I really like.  It's called Airplanes.  And, thank christ, they played it.  Then we left right after.

The problems with the show were as follows:

  1. It was packed.  Which was strange on many fronts.  You never know how popular a band is, but I guess off all the bands I have listened to in the past couple of years, I don't have any idea why this one is as popular as it is.  We actually had to wait in line to get into the venue.  Which we did not do.  We had a pre-show drink instead - nice thinking Chelsey.  The show was full of college kids who seemed to have none of the space issues I carry around with me wherever I go.  This was not a problem for me, but it did rub Chelsey the wrong way.  For a portion of the evening she was refusing to move her feet, no matter how much the douchebag college kids crowded her.  This was entertaining.  Chelsey was just entertaining in general.  She then started calling everyone who tried to walk in between us "bitches" right after they went by.  I thought this was a great idea.  It's something I hope sticks.  And spreads.  Mind you, she didn't say it to them.  She would just casually say it to me and we would share a knowing nod agreement. 
  2. This is a band that sounds like Fleet Foxes to me.  I can't stand that band.  But it certainly accounts for why so many people were there.  As everyone loves Fleet Foxes too - which I also do not understand.  But they tried to kind of ramp of their sound for the live show.  I felt like this was a mixed bag of success and failure.  But then, I mostly wanted to go home throughout the concert.
  3. These 8 million college kids with no spatial issues also knew all the words to the songs.  Normally this is something I like.  But the songs were so not sing-along worthy in my opinion.  So I found that whole thing distressing as well. 
  4. The hairstyles of the band proved to be a thorough survey of hipster poseurism.  This was distracting.  But whatever. 
So there you go.  I really need to start going to see bands that I like. 

No comments:

Post a Comment