Thursday, December 23, 2010

I don't get it.


So here's my topic sentence for this blog post: everybody says that Doctor Strangelove, Hard Day's Night, and Annie Hall are good movies, but they could not be more wrong.


I watched all three of these movies for the first time this year and was not impressed by any of them. All three were on the Time Magazine list of best movies and for the life of me, I can't imagine why. Of the three, I suppose Annie Hall has the strongest argument. It has a perspective, that at the time was probably fairly unique. It's just not very funny. I think maybe Hard Day's Night is on there just because people really like the Beatles, especially in their youthful, insouciant years. The movie seems to just be like an episode of the monkees tv show, a program that, incidentally, I have never in fact seen. And finally Doctor Strangelove, as mentioned before on this blog, that movie is just straight up for assholes.


In 2011, my hope is to be less disillusioned. Oh and I just ched the Time list again and Annie Hall isn't on there. That's a good sign.


2 comments:

  1. All three of those are comedies from an era where comedies weren't very funny. My sense is that the 60's were a horrible era for comedy. Probably because of all the stupid hippies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll go you one further. The source of the problem is the baby boomers in general, which explains why Annie Hall (1977) is also not funny. No movie made my a baby boomer is actually funny. I have no idea if that statement is true, but let's put it out there and see how it holds up.

    ReplyDelete