Monday, January 3, 2011

6th annual books read/girls made out with list

1. Nixonland - Rick Pearstein - good non-fiction book about the late Johnson/Nixon presidency
2. Wapshot Chronicles - John Cheever
3. Red Harvest - Dashiell Hammett - noir story by the guy who wrote the maltese falcon, I think
4. Nine Stories - J.D. Salinger - I don't really get a lot out of short stories, but these were pretty damn good
5. Crime and Punishment - Fyodor Dostoevsky Like Dickens for people who see the evil in the world
6. Manhood for Amateurs - Michael Chabon - interesting reflections on being a father/husband
7. Cloud Atlas - David Mitchell
8. Under the Net - Iris Murdoch
9. The Boy Detective Fails - Joe Meno; After reading a second time, decided it was probably my favorite book
10. Hairstyles of the Damned - less good Joe Meno book
11. Black and Blue - Tom Adelman
12. Angle of Repose - Wallage Stegner
13. Apologize, Apologize - Elizabeth Kelly, Brother/sister book club!
14. A Russian Journal - John Steinbeck
15. The Sheltering Sky - Paul Bowles
16. The Life of Edgar Sawtelle - David Wroblewski; interesting take on Hamlet set on a dog breeding farm in America in the 1960's
17. Irish Girl - Tim Johnston
18. Zeitoun - Dave Eggers, Brother's Book Club!
19. Death Comes for the Archbishop- Will Cather, much more enjoyable than I thought it would be
20. Housekeeping vs. The Dirt - Nick Hornby
21. The Garden of Last Days - Andre Dubus III
22. Man in the Dark - Paul Aster, this is the book that I have most forgotten of all the books I read this year
23. The Fifth Business - Robertson Davies
24. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - Stieg Larsson
25. The Death of the Heart - Elizabeth Bowen
26. The Girl who Played with Fire - Stieg Larsson
27. Rachel and Her Children - Jonathan Kozol, sad, sad non-fiction book about homeless people in new york in the 80's. very grim.
28. St. Lucy's Home for Girls Raised by Wolves - Another short story collection that I like a lot
29. The Age of Innocence - Edith Wharton- good, good book. almost make me want to see the movie
30. Go with Me - Castle Freedman Jr. - Indistiguishable from Man in the Dark in my memory
31. Samaritan - Richard Price
32. The Red Pony - John Steinbeck
33. Absalom, Absalom! - good, but the most difficult book I read
34. The Movie Club - David Gilmour
35. Dizzy City - Nicholas Griffith
36. The Assistant - Bernard Malamud, good, thought provoking book
37. Long Ball - Tom Adelman
38. The Call of the Wild- Jack London - I really like this book, short, about dogs, delightful
39. Entering Hades - John Leake, least enjoyable book, about a creepy austrian serial killer
40. The Bluest Eye - Toni Morrison

I usually try to come up with my favorite and/or best book read. This year it was a tie in both categories among many books. I suppose the worst books were the "the girl" books, but they were both better than some of the crap I read last year. So that's good.

1 comment: