Tuesday, June 21, 2011

2011 Half-Year Music Review

This has actually been a pretty good year for music so far. Lots of good albums (Lykki Li, Okkervil River, Antlers), lots of albums that may turn out to be good, if I ever didicate any time to them (My Morning Jacket, EMA, The Generationals). So here is my list of favorite songs so far.

10) Would You Say Stop - Acid House Kings - Best Belle and Sebastian sound-alike song this year so far.



9) California - EMA - Best song that talks shit about California so far this year.



8) Belong - Pains Of Being Pure At Heart - Best Smashing Pumpkins (circa Siamese Dream) sound-alike sound alike song this year.



7) Every Night My Teeth Are Falling Out - The Antlers - Best disturbing video so far this year.



6) Someone You'd Admire - Fleet Foxes - Best Fleet Foxes song. Ever. Which is not saying much.



5) Lovers Lane - Hunx & His Punx - Best gay Phil Spector retread.



4) Hanging From A Hit - Okkervil River - Best song on the best album so far.



3) Sadness Is A Blessing - Lykki Li - Best uplifting depressing song.



2) Words That Maketh Murder - P.J. Harvey - Best P.J. Harvey song I have ever heard.



1) Rolling In The Deep - Best song of the year. I hear it damn near every day, and I still love it.  One time I asked Chuck how he would describe this song, and he said "Blue Eyed Soul".  That was the first time I'd heard that phrase.

4 comments:

  1. Blue-eyed soul is music like the Doobie Brothers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm almost certain I heard it describe Rick Astley. I think we can all agree that Adele is nothing if not the Rick Astley of the early 2010's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not sure where the Decemberists are landing on theses lists, but now is probably as good a time as any to say that I know someone in the video for This is Why We Fight. More accurately, Zoe knows him. Daniil played Belle's father when Zoe was in Beauty & the Beast. For the record, he's the really beautiful boy in the glasses who raises the white flag in the end. Outshown by the kids already, but I guess that was inevitable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here's the deal with The Decemberists. They have a lot of atoning to do for their last two albums. A lot. This year's album isn't actually that bad, but the last two has them so far in the hole with me that they really need a masterpiece to dig them out. And I don't see one coming to be honest. They don't have a hole lot of room to operate in without losing their schtick - as exhibited by the last two albums.

    ReplyDelete