Wednesday, June 22, 2011

30 Day Music Challenge - Day 12

Song From a Band You Hate  Song From a Band You Used to Hate

The original category made no sense to me, so I am changing it to Band You Used to Hate

I really want to put some Pink Floyd or Steely Dan on here, but I think I have said the most mean things about Bob Dylan.  I don't love all Bob Dylan, but I love enough to rescind said hate for sure.  I don't know that this video is going to work.  But this is my favorite Dylan song.  It's not the album version, but it will do.


Chuck's song. My friend John Fallon taught me to love Heart. It was a slow, steady process. But he did it.


Chelsey's song. Coincidentally, I also did not care for Smashing Pumpkins until I heard "Today". And Chelsey, I hate to call you out on this, but you used to hate Lady Gaga. Oh, and Arcade Fire put out a video really similar to this one, except all the kids had fake guns and were in a police state. Arcade Fire and their stupid retread of 90's ideas. I swear.



Wendy's song. You might say she "missed the boat" earlier.



Kent's song. I completely agree about this band, but not the reason. Pink Floyd was always a band that people who were in band were talking about. Frat boys were listening to other crap. This song is one of my favorites by them as well.

11 comments:

  1. Oh - I guess he's not really a band. Shoot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one is super easy for me. I actually used to hate this particular song and this band. Now I dig the song, but still can't forgive the band for their 80's music. Anyway, my selection is Barracuda by Heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is an easy one for me. I just could NOT get the Modest Mouse thing. It's still a struggle sometimes, but not with this song. Best damn lyrics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chuck, this may have to be the end of our brother-sister relationship. Heart? Seriously?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wendy, you comment and selection make me wonder - which is more shameful: to dig a song of a band that is pretty crappy or to struggle to get on board with a really good band. I don't pretend to know the answer to this, but I think there is enough shame to go around for both of us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know how this is possible. If I hate a band once, it is likely I will always hate a band. It's the scorpio in me.

    The only thing I can think of is when I was like 12 I really didn't like the Smashing Pumpkins but I had a friend who LOVED them, but then as I got older (into my teen years) I grew to appreciate them. So I will go with 1979, my fav SP song.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wendy, I don't see a song. Am I missing something?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oops. Okay, just because I was too dumb to include my song name does not mean that I am dumb to think Heart still stinks. My song: Missed the Boat.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hated Pink Floyd throughout high school and college because I thought it was frat boy music. Leslie convinced me otherwise. I got into The Wall first, then into Dark Side of the Moon. I'll pick Us and Them as an example song.

    I remember when you finally came around to Bob Dylan, Brent. I was so proud. I was so happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Blood on the Tracks did it for me. Blonde on Blonde almost stopped the whole process however.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You'll get to Blonde on Blonde, but you have to go through Bringing It All Back Home and Highway 61 revisited first.

    ReplyDelete