Thursday, September 22, 2011

Congratulations, its a confusing novel about WWII era rockets and se-ual deviation


Last night I finished Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon. I have no idea what it was about, but I read every word. And what I mean by that is not that I didn't understand the greater themes, but the actual what's happening plot wise within the book was completely lost on me for large sections at a time.

Also I took me longer than Chelsey's pregnancy to read Gravity's Rainbow. I did also read a number of books over the course that I was reading it, but there is not a chance I could have read it straight through. It would have probably ruined me for reading forever. Anyway, if there is an extra fancy heaven for people who have struggled through difficult works of art, I believe I may have secured a place in it.

2 comments:

  1. Chuck I am so proud of you. I tried so hard to finish that book. I have given up at least 4 times. I have had to console myself with V and the Crying of Lot 49, both of which are comprehensible and awesome.

    Congratulations. Now get to work on Ulysses, House of Leaves, Mason & Dixon, Cryptonomicon, and Dhalgren.

    I have never gotten through those either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kent, it's so much easier to finish books when you give up on understanding them. Then it's just a matter of just letting the words wash over you and disappear. I'm impressed that you comprehended The Crying of Lot 49. I was pretty confused during large portions of that was well, as I was with House of Leaves and a fair amount of the William Falkner books I have stumbled through.

    Also rereading my original post, I seem to suggest that I did understand the greater themes of Gravity's Rainbow, but just not sections of the plot. This was not the case. I didn't "get" the greater themes at all either.

    ReplyDelete