Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Because it's important

Kent and I got into an argument about our favorite Tom Waits songs the other day.  Neither of us is pleased with the other's choice.  But it's stronger than that.  Upon relating our favorite song to the eachother we both set about suggesting other songs for the other to pick instead.  That led to a debate about whose song was more of a "classic" in the Tom Waits cannon.  (I'm not sure if I'm using the word cannon correctly there). 

Anyways, here are the two songs.  I know none of you are huge Tom Waits fans, but from an outsiders perspective, which one sounds more like a Tom Waits classic?

 



and

4 comments:

  1. I like song number one better, but I think Who Are You - sounds to me like a more quintessential Tom Waits song. I hope I haven't hurt anyone's feelings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are misrembering. Everything is true except for this:

    "That led to a debate about whose song was more of a "classic" in the Tom Waits cannon"

    We never had that argument. You said that your song was a Tom Waits classic, and I did not disagree. You also said that my second choice song was more of a classic Tom Waits song, and I did not disagree. I never claimed Johnsburg, Illinois was "more of a 'classic.'" That's a silly argument.

    And thanks, Chuck. It's a great song, isn't it? It's my favorite Tom Waits song.

    ReplyDelete