Thursday, November 3, 2011

Discoveries

Last night I figured out that Edith fits just about anywhere in a song where Jesus used to fit.  I figured this out singing "Edith Gonna Be Here" in lieu of Tom Waits's "Jesus Gonna Be Here."  That led to "Chocolate Jesus" being reinterpreted as "Chocolate Edith."  I liked that one because I was able to change

"When the weather gets rough and it's whiskey in the shade, it's best to wrap your savior up in cellophane."
to

"When the weather gets rough and it's whiskey in the shade, it's best to wrap your daughter up in cellophane."

I am now taking suggestions for other Jesus songs.

Personal Jesus - Depeche Mode
One Day at a Time (Sweet Jesus) - Kris Kristofferson
Jesus Fever - Kurt Vile


Just for Leslie:

8 comments:

  1. Neutral Milk Hotel's "I love you Jesus Christtttttttttttttttttttt."

    On a side note, I've always been partial to Tom Waits' Jersey Girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I can just change it to Edith Pearlllllll.

    As I told Kent earlier this week, it's a little-known fact that Jersey Girl is actually the first song Tom ever wrote about his wife Kathleen Brennan(whose family hails from New Jersey). The second song he wrote about her (Jonesburg Il) is your husbands favorite song. Way to be on the same page with your favorite songs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tom Waits isn't played much on the radio, but in Philadelphia, everything that Bruce Springsteen has ever recorded, live or otherwise, is played on the radio. And Bruce Springsteen, being from Jersey plays a damn good Jersey Girl. He cleans it up though, no hookers. So that was my first introduction to Tom Waits.

    http://youtu.be/xRXhDQXhdXE

    ReplyDelete
  4. And I don't know how to embed a video in Blogger comments.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe a little premature, but I think Kanye's Jesus Walks, will be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Also, following Leslie's lead, my favorite Tom Waits song is a tie between World Keeps Turning and Hoist that Rag.

    ReplyDelete