Tuesday, January 17, 2012

MLK


Something like this.
In honor of Martin Luther King Day, I started reading his autobiography.  My main hesitation with that guy is that he always seems so serious.  Always working on a cause.  Always saying something important.  I"m hoping there is some comedy in this thing.  So far, no good. 


Just a lot of talk about growing up in Atlanta, and being a member of a religious family and having a dad who was a badass.  He also calls his father "Daddy," which I am never ready for.  It shouldn't be a problem that grown men use the term Daddy.  And yet it is.  Unless it's in a song called "Patches."


I did find out that he did have a moment when he was like 12, when he questioned his faith.  Then he got that taken care of, and he was good to go. 


I'm also looking forward to quotes like this one from a speech.


Discrimination is a hellhound that gnaws at Negroes in every waking moment of their lives to remind them that the lie of their inferiority is accepted as truth in the society dominating them.
Who uses hellhound in a sentence? Even when they write speeches?  That guy could really put words together. 

On a related note, I am reading it on my phone, having downloaded it from the Omaha Library website.  Pretty cool, right?  Maybe not so much.  I took a solid hour to get it all configured on my phone.  And you only get it for a week. 

Who reads a book in a week?

3 comments:

  1. When I read the book Nixonland a few years back, it was interesting to learn that all the way up to his death, prominent politicians and national leaders questioned his motivations and his methods. I think if you had told him in the weeks before his death that he would have a national holiday named after him when he died, he would have been shocked. It wasn't just the racist south that didn't like him, but people like Nixon and Reagan too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah. I didn't know the FBI was constantly trying to get him to stop what he was doing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Follow up! So I'm like three chapters in, and he's already addressed the humor thing. He says that from the time he was little he tried to avoid two black stereotypes:

    Being Late
    Being Jovial

    In other words, Martin Luther King and I totally get each other. Also we both hate to get to things late.

    ReplyDelete