Thursday, May 16, 2013

Reflections on a Shower

I don't want to be Mr. Down with Society or anything, but I attended my first baby showers yesterday for two of my coworkers. I was surprised by how much I was kind of creeped by a lot of the gender stuff. So much pink and blue. It seems like as a society we've kind of move beyond some of those antiquated notions and then you attend something like this, and it's all about reinforcing traditional roles and values. It's like the place where the women of two generations ago can still hold sway.Well I decided I'd write a blog piece about it so I'm doing my part.

5 comments:

  1. Were you not around when we went through this with Edith? It's a big fat force-feeding of pink or blue, and there's hardly a way around it, because stores carry like 5 gender neutral items.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, hey look! I still have a blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The shower was when we were in logansport I think, so no I didn't really experience it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just recently I went to the best baby shower ever. I hate them as a matter of course, but this one was fantastic. Just about 12 women (most in their late 30s, early 40s) -- no old ladies, nobody in her 20s. The mom had registered for awesome children's books, so they were pretty much the only gifts. There was a quiz on children's literature with a prize for the best score -- mine (did I mention this was the best shower ever?). Yummy homemade soup and bread and healthy stuff. The only cheesy food was the collection of Seuss cake pops/balls I provided. No fawning over the cuteness of the boy on the way -- but maybe that's because the gifts were all just books and basic things like blankets. No blue decorations -- just flowers in jars and handmade fabric bunting. There was wine and making fun of stuff. It was great. I think you need the right combo of mom (this one already had kids Jude & Zoe's age) and guests. So if she gets knocked up again, Chuck, I'll see if I can get you an invite.

    ReplyDelete